Constituted as 379th Bombardment Group (Heavy) on 28 Oct
1942. Activated on 3 Nov 1942. Moved to England, with the air echelon flying
B-17's via the North Atlantic route in Apr 1943 and the ground echelon
crossing by ship in May. Began operations with Eighth AF on 19 May, and
received a DUC for operations over Europe, May 1943-Jul 1944.
Engaged primarily in bombardment of strategic targets
such as industries, oil refineries, storage plants, submarine pens,
airfields, and communications centers in Germany, France, Holland, Belgium,
Norway, and Poland. Specific targets included a chemical plant in
Ludwigshafen, an aircraft assembly plant in Brunswick, ball-bearing plants
at Schweinfurt and Leipzig, synthetic oil refineries at Merseburg and
Gelsenkirchen, marshalling yards at Hamm and Reims, and airfields in Mesnil
au Val and Berlin.
Received another DUC for flying without fighter
protection into central Germany to attack vital aircraft factories on 11 Jan
1944. On several occasions attacked interdictory targets and operated in
support of ground forces. Bombed V-weapon sites, airfields, radar stations,
and other installations before the Normandy invasion in Jun 1944; bombed
defended positions just ahead of the Allied landings on 6 Jun; and struck
airfields, rail choke points, and gun emplacements during the campaign that
followed. Bombed enemy positions to assist ground troops at St Lo during the
breakthrough, 24-25 Jul 1944. Attacked German communications and
fortifications during the Battle of the Bulge, Dec 1944-Jan 1945.
Bombed bridges and viaducts in France and Germany to aid
the Allied assault across the Rhine, Feb-Mar 1945. Moved to French Morocco
in Jun 1945. Inactivated on 25 Jul 1945.